Provincial Priory of Northampton Huntingdon & Bedford

Information about the Order

Northampton Huntingdon & Bedford Provincial Priory was constituted in 1925 under charter from Great Priory of England and Wales, although Victory Preceptory pre-dates this and was consecrated in 1919.

 

The Order was first worked in England in 1777, having probably originated in France. There are two Degrees: Knights Templar and Knights of Malta, these being joined by a 'passing' Degree of Knight of St Paul. A candidate for the first Degree is in the position of a pilgrim travelling symbolically through hardship and dangers until he is received as a Knight. It teaches humility and urges the candidate to live his life as a Christian Knight. The second Degree deals with the period when the Knights travelled from Palestine to reach their final home in Malta, emphasising their Christian virtues.

 

The regalia of the Order is most impressive, being based on that of the medieval Templars, consisting of a mantle, tunic, cap, sash, star, belt, sword and gloves. The Knights of Malta regalia is different but not obligatory. Candidates for installation must profess the Christian faith and be both Master Masons and Royal Arch Companions. A Provincial Church Service for members, families and friends is held alternate years, with the spectacle of the Knights in full regalia

 

The Provincial Priory meeting is held at the Masonic Centre in Northampton on the second Saturday in April each year, and the Provincial Priory of Malta meeting is held at the Masonic Hall in Corby on the second Saturday of September.

 

countercountercountercountercountercounter